Tell Congress that the 2018 Farm Bill must support aquaponics!
Here are instructions to send a message to Congress, with sample text below. This should only take about 10 minutes :)
- Most Members of Congress will have online comment forms you can use to easily submit a letter.
- Send a copy to your two Senators and one Representative.
- You can also call offices and ask to speak to their agriculture staff member, and ask to email them a copy.
- You can mail hard copies for more effect, but be aware that letters to DC offices go through a multi-week safety screening, so consider mailing hard copies to their district offices instead.
- Feel free to edit the sample text however you like, or write your own.
- Include a copy of the Aquaponics Association 2018 Farm Bill Comparison for Congress
Here's sample letter:
December 14, 2017
521 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator ABC:
I write to ask that you fight for a level playing field for aquaponic growers in the 2018 U.S. Farm Bill.
Aquaponic growers employ closed-loop, recirculating systems of fish, plants and beneficial bacteria to produce nutritious vegetables, fruits, and fish.
Aquaponic systems use over 90% less water than soil farming; do not emit harmful agricultural discharge; do not use synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, or antibiotics; and use the minimum resources necessary.
Most importantly: aquaponic systems can grow crops anywhere, from inner cities to arid deserts. Aquaponics can provide fresh produce, fresh fish, and the opportunity for economic growth in all 50 states.
[Insert a few sentences about what YOU do in aquaponics. Consider mentioning where you are located; any ways you help the community; or if / how many people you employ.]
For aquaponics to grow, we must not be placed at a disadvantage by Farm Bill policies.
We ask that the Farm Bill explicitly state that all USDA programs and policies apply equally to produce grown in soil, and produce grown in water-based systems like aquaponics.
[Consider offering to serve as a resource]: Please let me know if you would like to discuss this issue in more detail. And please contact me if you have any questions about aquaponics and its importance for [your state]. You can reach me at [email/phone].
[your name, affiliation and contact info]